NDOUtils + PostgreSQL?

Antonio Grassi agrassic at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 15:51:20 CET 2007

2007/11/8, Mathieu Grzybek <grzybek.mathieu at ig2i.fr>:

> Hi,
>
> I submitted PgSQL code + nagios 2.x patches a few months ago. I don't know
> if
> Ethan read it or not.
>
> Ethan told me that it should be more interesting to wait for the final db
> scheme version.

I found your post today, but I couldn't access the referenced URL. After
downloading and trying the 1.4b7 version without success, I thought the
effort had not evolved.

Le jeudi 08 novembre 2007, Andreas Ericsson a écrit:
> > Antonio Grassi wrote:
> > > Hi list. Maybe this message should have been sent to nagiosplug-devel,
> > > sorry if that is the case.
> > >
> > > I've been trying NDOUtils, and got it working with MySQL. I've also
> seen
> > > that there are plans to add support for PostgreSQL storage, and
> browsing
> > > the code I see there is already some work in that direction. I've also
> > > seen there are a couple of messages in nagios-devel and
> nagiosplug-devel
> > > about versions with certain support for PostgreSQL, using 1.4b2 and
> 1.4b3
> > > versions of NDOUtils.
> > >
> > > I tried Nagios 3.0b5 and NDOUtils 1.4b6. The scripts for the creation
> of
> > > the database schema are only for MySQL. I converted the script to
> > > PostgreSQL format, and modified ndo2db.c to enable PostgreSQL. But
> when I
> > > turn everything up, I see that there are also hardcoded queries with
> > > MySQL SQL format.
> >
> > I thought most queries were in ANSI SQL. In what way are the queries
> > incompatible with PostgreSQL (or any other sql-engine, for that matter)?
> >

> I should check the queries again.

In particular, I've seen the query in src/db.c, line 317:

"INSERT INTO %s SET instance_name='%s'"

The INSERT INTO table SET column = value ... is a MySQL extension, as
described in
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/6.0/en/extensions-to-ansi.html

I don't know if there are other non standard queries.

> > - is there a brach or something I'm missing, with a better grade of
> > > support for PostgreSQL?
> >
> > Shouldn't think so. I haven't found one anyways.
> >
> > > - is there somebody working in PostgreSQL support for NDOUtils (if
> yes,
> > > who)?
> >

> I am waiting for the final db scheme version to work on it.
>
> > Not that I know of. Did google turn up blank?
>

> Mathieu

Thanks for your reply.

Antonio