subgroup inheritance

Chris Jones cjones at pittstate.edu
Wed Nov 7 19:50:46 CET 2007

Good afternoon,

This is my first post to this list!

I have a suggestion that I think would be beneficial. I was reading the
PDF of Ethan Galstad's presentation "Nagios 3.0 and Beyond" from Nagioz
Konferenz 2006 (a great document, by the way!). I read the section about
"Subgroup references" which talk about how "Host, service and contact
groups can now reference other groups for membership."

My question is, if I had something like:

-----------

define contactgroup {
    contactgroup_name       ois
    alias                   OIS Group
    contactgroup_members    ois-techs,ois-admins
    }

define contactgroup {
    contactgroup_name       ois-techs
    alias                   OIS Techs
    }

define contactgroup {
    contactgroup_name       ois-admins
    alias                   OIS Administrators
    }

define contact {
    contact_name            cjones
    contactgroups           ois-techs
    }

define contact {
    contact_name            eespring
    contactgroups           ois-admins
    }

---------

cjones would be a member of ois-techs. ois-techs would be a member of
ois. Would that not mean that cjones would inherently be a member of
ois, also? This doesn't seem to be the case (unless my configuration is
wrong...). I get an error saying 'ois' has no members.

My suggestion would then be to allow inheritance when using subgroup
directives. Inheritance is easily one of the most powerful aspects of
Nagios, and it seems like something like this would make that strength
even greater.

Thank you,

- Chris

--
Chris Jones
Senior Systems Manager
E-mail: cjones at pittstate.edu
--

There isn't much difference between Linux and Unix.

Just think of Linux as Unix, written by 1,000 monkeys who have never seen Unix before.