RFC: Timeperiod Overhaul in Nagios 3

Ethan Galstad nagios at nagios.org
Thu May 31 00:44:34 CEST 2007

I have just committed some new code to CVS that extends the
functionality of timeperiods.  You can now specify exceptions for single
days/weekdays/dates and ranges of days/weekdays/days.  You can also
construct timeperiod entries equivalent to "every 7 days beginning March
1st, 2008" or "every 3 days between March 1st and March 17th".

You can see some of the newly supported timeperiod directive formats at:

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#timeperiod

The ideas for making these changes came from discussions that took place
at last years Netways conference on Nagios.  Thanks to the folks who
suggested this!

The code likely has bugs - both in the parsing and processing logic.
I'll be testing this more heavily over the next few days and make a new
alpha release of Nagios 3 soon.

Let me know if there are other day/date exception formats that you'd
like to see supported (if any).  A lot of options have been added, so
they'll probably work for 99% of people and should help with defining
timeperiods that work for rotating on-call schedules.

Ethan Galstad,
Nagios Developer
---
Email: nagios at nagios.org