Problem logging criticals after host down

Ricardo José Maraschini ricardo.maraschini at opservices.com.br
Mon May 21 19:53:53 CEST 2007

I will try to explain a problem that we see here.
Actually we are using Nagios 2.5, and I try to search in ChangeLog if
this problem was solved without success.
When a host comes down, nagios log services of this host as CRITICAL in
HARDSTATE. When the host comes up, Nagios try to check the services
again. If a service of this host remains CRITICAL, Nagios log it as
CRITICAL in SOFTSTATE!
Try to figure out what happen if in a third try Nagios find the service
in a OK state. Nagios will log it as... OK SOFTSTATE because the last
register is a CRITICAL SOFTSTATE.
The service will turn OK in HARDSTATE only at midnight, when the
logrotate occours.