Escalations and notification counter

Marcus Fleige marcus.fleige at de.rhenus.com
Tue May 15 13:56:48 CEST 2007

Hi there,

i'm currently using Nagios 3.0a3 and found something which seems like a
change in the notification logic.

Until 2.x, it was possible to define escalations with gaps in between,
leaving it to me on which number my escalation tree started. Like, if i
started my escalations on "first_notification 3", Nagios awaits a hard
state change and waits 2 turns until this escalation takes place.

With 3.x, Nagios does not increase the notification number if there is
no contact(group) defined with a notification_interval matching the
actual time.

A small example to visualize the problem:

Three Contacts:

admin - Default Contact, Notification 24x7 via Mail.
hotline - Escalation 1, Notifications Mo-Fr 9am-5pm per Voice-Call
on-call-service - Escalation 2, Notifications Mo-Fr 5pm-9am per Short
Message

serviceescalations.cfg

define serviceescalation{
     host_name                   dummy1
     service_description     	dummy-service1
     contacts                    admin
     first_notification          1
     last_notification           1
     notification_interval       5
     }

define serviceescalation{
     host_name                   dummy1
     service_description         dummy-service1
     contacts                    hotline
     first_notification          2
     last_notification           2
     notification_interval       5
     }

define serviceescalation{
     host_name                   dummy1
     service_description         dummy-service1
     contacts                    on-call-service
     first_notification          3
     last_notification           3
     notification_interval       5
     }

If an unack'ed problem exists, notifications should go out to the
hotline during workhours. During night time, the On-Call service should
be informed.

Problem: If the state changes to a non-ok state after 5pm, escalation
begins. First, the admin is informed by email. But after that, no
further notifcation is send out and the notification counter does not
increase.

Why? Notification number 2 only has a contact defined, which time period
does not match the current time.

Is anyone able to reproduce this behaviour?

After all, i'm quite happy with this behaviour, even if it needs some
reconfiguration in my nagios config. With this new behaviour, Nagios
starts notifications just when i want them to start. But as i have not
found anything in the docs about it yet, i'm a little unsure if this
could be a bug, that will be fixed in the near future, leaving me with
an unusable escalation tree...

So long,

Marcus