Some errors with SIGSEGV

Herbert Straub herbert at linuxhacker.at
Thu Mar 29 10:16:36 CEST 2007

Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Herbert Straub wrote:
>
> Well, since NPTL has been discontinued, widely regarded as a mistake with
> a too complex implementation, I think it would be a good idea to just
> recommend people not to use it.

I'm not sure, if it is my misunderstanding, but i think NPTL is
completely integrated in glibc. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_POSIX_Thread_Library

and

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-threading.html?ca=dgr-lnxw07LinuxThreadsAndNPTL

getconf GNU_LIBPTHREAD_VERSION shows on

Debian Sarge: NPTL 0.60  <-- looks very old
Ubuntu Edgy: NPTL 2.4
Ubuntu Feisty: NPTL 2.5
RHEL 5: NPTL 2.5

The debian changelog:

    2006

      glibc <http://packages.debian.org/src:glibc> (2.4-1) UNRELEASED;
      urgency=low

   * New upstream version 2.4:

    - NPTL being the default thread library when available, only one
       version of the thread library is available (either linuxthreads or
       NPTL).  Closes: #399035 <http://bugs.debian.org/399035>.

http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/g/glibc/glibc_2.5-0exp6/changelog

Best Regards
Herbert Straub