logic/feature request for dependencies

jmoseley at pgtv.com jmoseley at pgtv.com
Wed Mar 21 17:52:54 CET 2007

This has probably been brought up before, so I apologize in advance...

According the dependency documentation, when a dependent host (or service)
has two or more parental host (or service) dependencies, if just one of the
notification dependencies fail, Nagios will repress notifications for the
dependent host (service).

With lots of folks using redundant routing and switching, I'd like to see
logic added to allow for configuration of a dependency setup that would
require both parental dependencies to fail before repressing notifications
of the dependent host/service.

For example, we have a switch C that is hooked up to routers A and B.  If
just one router goes down, we can still get to switch C.  So in our Nagios
host dependency setup, we want host notifications for switch C repressed
only if BOTH routers A and B go down (ie, both notification dependencies
fail).

What are the problems with implementing such logic?

James Moseley