Wish: Multiple instances of alerts on the same service/host

Marlo Bell BELLMR at ldschurch.org
Tue Mar 20 16:52:34 CET 2007

It depends on how you architect it. With SNMPTT catching all traps, none are lost. The plugin I wrote queries the mysql database and alarms if ANY traps are present and the php page will show ALL traps that have been caught for that particular host. You can then address each trap individually with out losing any information. It basically adds a level of indirection, by combining asynchronous(passive) traps with active nagios checks.

Example:

Webserver1 sends a power supply failure trap.
SNMPTT catches the trap and logs it to the database.
Webserver1 sends a high temperature trap.
SNMPTT catches the trap and logs it to the database.
Nagios runs the checktraps.pl plugin for Webserver1 at the normal 5 minute interval
Nagios alarms for the service Webserver1-SNMP Traps: "CRITICAL: 2 unacknowledged trap(s) received" (or something like that).
The user clicks on the "Action URL" icon for that service in the web front-end and sees the trapack.php web page showing which traps have been received FOR THAT HOST.
The user sees that a power supply has failed and replaces it.
The user "acknowledges" or clears the power failure trap from the trapack.php web page
Nagios continues to alarm on the service Webserver1-SNMP Traps: "CRITCAL: 1 unacknowledged trap(s) received."
The user sees that Webserver1 is overheating (from trapack.php) and takes action to correct it (fixes the A/C or something)
The user "acknowledges" or clears the high temperature trap from the trapack.php web page
Nagios now shows that Webserver1-SNMP Traps is: "OK: No new traps received."

This can be made even more robust to detect how severe the received traps are and alarm accordingly in nagios (warning vs critical).

Hope that helps.

Marlo

Marlo Bell wrote:

> I didn't quite understand the disk example. But a simple and popular
> answer to the trap issue is a program called SNMPTT.

Fair enough, but the problem is elsewhere, I think. What happens if
the same host sends several events of the class "SNMP trap" ?

Isn't it true that Nagios will only show the last one?

--
Ståle