passive service freshness with nagios restart

Michelle Craft craft at cs.wisc.edu
Tue Jun 19 17:49:56 CEST 2007

I use passive checks for several purposes, but I'd like to start using
them as a daily heartbeat.  The problem is that my nagios server restarts
at least once a day and the freshness timeout is always reset to the
restart time instead of the last time a passive check was sent.  It looks
like the behaviour I would like was present in older versions, but
changed:

base/checks.c:

   /* CHANGED 02/25/06 SG - passive checks also become stale, so remove dependence on active check logic */
   if(temp_service->has_been_checked==FALSE || program_start>temp_service->last_check)

   expiration_time=(time_t)(program_start+freshness_threshold);

The freshness example given in the docs (freshness.html) is a daily
heartbeat.  It appears that the above change makes a heartbeat impossible
if the freshness_threshold is ever longer than a reboot cycle.

I think the only way to fix this is to back-out the change (unlikely) or
add yet another config file option - something like freshness_restart -
and include it in the checks.c expiration_time logic.

Unless I'm missing something.  Has anyone else run into this problem or
found a different work around?

--
Michelle