RFC: Nagios log rotation/archieving

Ryan Ordway ryan.ordway at oregonstate.edu
Tue Jul 31 19:22:08 CEST 2007

On 7/31/07 5:10 AM, "Lars Michelsen" <lars.lists at googlemail.com> spake:
> Hi Ethan, Hi Devels,

Hi Lars!

> - Log archieve file naming #2: The files are named with the date they
> are rotated at. The logfile nagios-01-01-2007-00.log with daily
> rotation contains the logs from 2006-12-31 00:00 to 2006-12-31 23:59.
> Imo this is not very intuitive. Would it be better to name the files
> like what they contain? e.g. nagios-01-01-2007-00.log contains the
> logs from 2007-01-01 00:00 to 2007-01-01 23:59.
> After some searches in rotation methods of other programs I recognized
> that other tools do it like Nagos too. Okay, if this is a non written
> standard I'll accept it. But I still think it would be more intuitive
> when browsing directly in the logfiles.

It *would* be useful to have the naming of the logfiles be configurable, or
at least changed to match the default ls sort order.
Nagios-%yyyy-%mm-%dd-%id.log. This would group logfiles by year, then by
month and then by day, a much more natural grouping when it comes to manual
inspection.

Ryan

Ryan Ordway                          E-mail:   rordway at oregonstate.edu
Unix Systems Administrator             rordway at library.oregonstate.edu
OSU Libraries, Corvallis, OR 97370        Office: Valley Library #4657