Nagios registering all events

Hendrik Bäcker andurin at process-zero.de
Tue Jul 31 18:01:37 CEST 2007

Hi Jorge,

this would not work.

Nagios takes the logfiles as a datapool.

The CGIs for example are reading the logfiles to determine how long a
service was up and how long it was down.

The CGIs are working like pits and lands.

I'm afraid I can't explain this in a short sentence.... so take the long
one:

Nagios begins to read a log file, at this moment it doesn't know the
status of the service (up or warning or critical???)
Nagios finds a log entry that the service is now critical, so after this
point the service IS critical and before this event it is undeterminded.

After a few lines of log nagios sees that this service is now in an OK
state...
Actual: OK
Past: CRITICAL (since the Critical Log entry)
Future: OK until another Log entry

So if you would try to strip out your OK states from your logs it would
not be what you want...

Hope that helps to understand.

Regards
Hendrik