Latencies with process-perfdata command

Hendrik Baecker andurin at process-zero.de
Tue Jan 30 20:42:13 CET 2007

Thanks Thomas for your answer.

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest schrieb:
>> <snip>
>>
> We're doing exactly that, but instead of writing a file and running scripts
> to read that data we're using a daemon (written in Perl) that reads a fifo
> (where Nagios writes performance data) and store data into memory for a
> short amount of time.

Just a few hours ago, I have discussed this with a friend of mine.
But when I think of nearly 6000 active service checks on my poor nagios
hardware there might be 3000 service checks with valid performance data
with a avg check interval on 300 seconds. Which means that there might
be around 10 or more performance data per seconds and a fifo is not endless.
But I know that the needed performance data are not as big to overfill
this fifo if you are reading out of it fast enough...
Just a thought.
> We use Cacti to graph all data, so for thing coming from Nagios there's a
> cacti script that connects to the daemon and fetch the data.
>
> If you're interested we'll release that soon... I'll probably make an
> anouncement in Nagiosplug-devel...
>
> Thomas

How many services are you processing this way? Did you run into latencies?

Regards
Hendrik