Nagios and LDAP group membership

Arno Lehmann al at its-lehmann.de
Thu Jan 18 10:10:57 CET 2007

Hello,

On 1/18/2007 8:32 AM, Francois Pernet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have Nagios 2.5 installed on a huge site. This site has a central
> LDAP directory. The goal is to manage people n this directory
> following their group membership. I know that Apache is responsible
> for the authentication and it works fine, but we would like to know
> if the following could be possible:
>
> - a user is authenticated by LDAP in Apache and he has the permission
> to see Nagios following his group membership (that works because not
> lied to Nagios)

This should be possible using the ldap authentication / authorization
stuff. I'm not really fluent in it, but I think I saw something like
this revently. Not related to Nagios, but it solved the same problem. If
I understood the ldap query correctly :-)

> - Nagios is able to give authorizations (cgi.cfg) based on group
> membership and not only user id

This would require changes to the cgi authorization code, and new
configuration directives, I guess.

> - optional but really nice: Somehow Nagios is able to extract email
> address and in a file (contactldapgroups.cfg) we only declare
> notification period and commands (so it replaces the file
> contacts.cfg).

I do it differently, but with the same goal: I have contact information
set up in a generic way - i.e. 24x7, all states, some contact identifier.

The Nagios users have all their settings in theit ldap directory
entries, i.e. when, about what, and how they are notified. The
notification program gets that info from ldap, sees if it has to send a
notification, and does so according to what the user configured.

> Using this way it would be possible to manage entirely Nagios people
> through the directory and not being obliged to declare each person
> under Nagios...

In my setup, having group authetication is not necessary because the
users need to have the notifications set up individually, and thus the
web browser has the means to determine who is allowed to acces the
nagios pages on a per-user basis.

> Tell me if I am the only one to request for such a enhancement ?

Well, much of what you want can alredy be done by setting up the right
notification commands.

Arno