NDOUtils 1.4b1 Released

Marlo Bell BELLMR at ldschurch.org
Mon Jan 8 22:40:26 CET 2007

Glad to see some more work on NDO, I’m excited to try I out. In light of the recent developments with NDO, I’m going to repost a email I sent quite a while ago with some feedback about the NDO database:

[snip]

1. objects.name1 and objects.name2 shouldn't exist. The names of objects should
live in their respective tables. Hosts should have a hostname and a alias field.
Services should have a service_description field. Hostgroups should have a
hostgroup_name and a hostgroup_alias field. etc. etc. etc. I believe this to be
the case because they are unique to each object and cannot be generified-the
result is a bunch of NULLs in the objects table. This also makes joining objects
together easier/possible. In the current NDO database I couldn't use a join to
show me all the services in a particular servicegroup. This could possibly be
done with a subquery, but that seems excessive for a seemingly simple query.

2. Host and Services should not be linked by name. At very least the id of the
host and service object should be linked. But to truly model the Nagios works,
it should be a many-to-many relationship with an association table. Since the
NDO database with Nagios 2.x isn't the authority of data (the flat files still
are) this shouldn't be a problem. And in Nagios 3.0 a relationship based on
primary keys seems more appropriate.

3. The instance table shouldn't need to be related to EVERY other table. In
fact I think that a relationship to the objects table seems sufficient. That
relationship should then carry throughout all other relationships. There are a
few exceptions in tables which don't link to the objects table.

[snap]

Also, I would like to add to this:

4. The acknowledgements and comments should be closely linked. Since an acknowledgement requires a comment, Why keep them separate? Just have the acknowledgements table link to the comment_id of the acknowledgement comment.

5. On page 15 of the schema docs there are a few tables (processevents, systemcommands, externalcommands) which don’t seem to have a foreign key linking them to the objects table as shown in the diagram.

Marlo