NSCA using PROCESS_FILE

Gerd Mueller gmueller at netways.de
Wed Feb 28 10:57:55 CET 2007

Hi Hendrik,

> 1. What happens when the external Daemon crashes and the pipe will be
> erased?

How should the pipe be erased by accident? If you do not erease it it
will survive.

> Does is hurts nagios?

I see different problem. If the daemon dies the pipe would never be
cleaned, nagios will not be able to attach data to such a full pipe. So
nagios will be slowed down until the ocsp/ochp commands timeout. We had
this problem with the perfdata commands and our nagiosgrapher. That is
the only reason why we switched to use udp rather than using a pipe. But
summarized I do not see such a problem with using a pipe.

BTW after dealing with this issue I do not see very much difference
between oc(h|s)p commands and perfdata commands. I wonder if nagios
should have a stack of "do something or write into a file/pipe after the
checks" commands. Instead of using different commands.

Cheers,

Gerd