nagios-cvs: reload/restart breaks external command file?

John P. Rouillard rouilj+nagiosdev at cs.umb.edu
Thu Feb 22 17:57:32 CET 2007

In message <1172162744.21107.24.camel at localhost.localdomain>,
Gerd Mueller writes:
>after reloading (SIGHUP)/restarting (SIGTERM) my master server it
>doesn't accept any external commands any more. Since this host is an
>nsca receiver it's very bad :-(.

My guess is that it wasn't doing anything at all, not just not
draining the external commands file. Did you check the web interface
to see if the scheduling queue was draining? I have a cron job that
runs every three minutes (broken for readability):

  # check to make sure nagios isn't stalled.
  */3 * * * * output=`/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_file_age -c 180
     /var/log/nagios` || /usr/bin/Mail -s "ALERT: Nagios stalled: $output"
     oncall_page_critical < /dev/null > /dev/null

to make sure that nagios is operating properly on reload. The 180
second time limit is based on most of my service checks running every
three minutes.

>To get it back working I have to remove all var/* files.

I don't have to do that. Just stop and restart. So maybe you are
seeing something new. Also what version are you running?

>Is it a (know) bug or am I missing anything?

I claim it is a common bug about once in every 5-10 restarts for us
using nagios 2.5.  I haven't yet run a debugging nagios build and
attached a debugger to the daemon to see what is happening when it
hangs. It seems to occur more often when using larger numbers of
services etc.

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard