nagios-cvs: Too many open files?

Ethan Galstad nagios at nagios.org
Wed Feb 7 17:27:06 CET 2007

Marc Powell wrote:

> [...]

Actually, Nagios has a new temp_path option that defines a directory
where Nagios will create temp files.  Host and service checks in Nagios
3 write their output to temp files - that's how the plugin output length
restriction was done away with.

These temp files should be deleted once Nagios processed a host or
service check result.  When Nagios stops, child processes may still be
running checks and writing output to temp files.  These files won't get
processed/deleted up when Nagios restarts, so its a good idea to use
something like tmpwatch to delete temp files older than a few hours.

Gerd, the number of temp files is extremely high.  How many Nagios
(child) processes are running when you check the count of temp files?
Something seems to be amiss.  Either that or you're monitoring a ton of
services.

Ethan Galstad,
Nagios Developer
---