Bug Reporting / Issue Tracking System ?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Dec 12 14:13:02 CET 2007

Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 15:27 -0500, Alex Burger wrote:
>> Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>
> I agree with all of this.
>
> Also note, any firm that adopts Nagios will have internal ticket/bug
> tracking as they go through the integration process.
>
> They'll want to be able to cross-reference their internal ticket with a
> vendor ticket.

I'm sure they do. That's what the support companies are there for though.

Set this up yourself/yourselves and then take the time to get the
community to submit their bug-reports and feature-requests to the
tracker. The best way to go about it is probably to provide patches
to the nagios.org website and by endless requests to users who keep
submitting their bug-reports to the list to duplicate the information
in the tracker. To get the developers interested in it you'll likely
also have to make sure pure junk, duplicate reports, RTFM reports and
nonsense reports are kept out of it. You should probably also try to
make sure that incomplete reports get fleshed out with a bare minimum
of information. This maintenance work needs to be done at least during
the first 6-12 months. Otherwise ost devs will probably just ignore
the tracker completely.

In short, effort talks and bullshit walks. Simple as that. Now get
to work or stop nagging. I won't do any of the above because
* it's not my area of expertise
* I'm not interested in the end product
* I have better things to spend my time on
* I don't think it's fun

The last point is by far the most important here. I simply refuse
to spend my spare time on anything that isn't fun. I'm not saying I
wouldn't like having a tracker somewhere, but the effort of setting
one up *and maintaining it* is something I just won't do.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se