coredumps

Andrew Ivanov a.ivanov at e-port.ru
Mon Dec 10 18:20:48 CET 2007

Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> > Ok, to dump cores one should set correct homedir for user nagios,
>
> meep! Not necessarily right.

It's needed as long as you want to use 'su -' in the daemon-init script.

> Well, some users set the $HOME of accounts not supposed to login to
> /var/jail or some such, so your approach would solve absolutely
> nothing for them.

Yes, but those users don't run Nagios :-)

> The choice is yours, but if the decision was up to me, I wouldn't
> accept your patch as is because
> * it breaks a pretty standard unix way of doing things

I know unix for many years, and never seen a daemon with
a complicated config file and at the same time use env var for
something without config file option. Daemon often discards
entire environment, relying only on config file.

> * it doesn't solve a real problem universally

It can make things work 'as expected' not breaking others.

> * there are other ways to achieve exactly the same thing already

sure :-)

> > If started-for-production Nagios goes crazy, you can't dump core.
> > Instead, you have to restart it for-debug and wait for the
> bug again.
> > It's not convenient too.
> >

> True that, but when a program has already started going wild it's far
> too late to decide that it should dump core if it doesn't already

sometimes Nagios goes crazy eating 100% CPU, and this is the moment
to dump core and see wha't going on.

> , so
> with or without your patch everyone still has to decide whether or not
> they want to allow core-dumps from Nagios before they start it. Your
> patch makes it possible to set "daemon_dumps_core=1" in nagios.cfg
> and then forget about it *IF* you've also made sure nagios' $HOME is
> writable by the nagios user.

I just can't understand why make things more complex and have something
behind daemon_dumps_core option and possibly daemon_coredump_dir options.

Andreas, thank you for discussion. I know your point of view, you know mine.

Besides of this, Nagios is a most valuable open-source monitoring tool.

Good luck,
Andrew.