coredumps

Andrew Ivanov a.ivanov at e-port.ru
Thu Dec 6 17:07:35 CET 2007

Andreas Ericsson wrote:

> That's the entire point right there. It's not supposed to be
> safe. It's supposed to be convenient. I would actually prefer
> if Nagios didn't dump core at all when started as root, because
> the core dump can then contain sensitive information.

Well, that explains a lot.
'daemon_dumps_core' option prevent Nagios from dumping cores, doesn't it?
And it's turned off by default.
Honestly, I've thought that all I need to dump core is turn this option on.
Core files have rights 600, so neither group, nor others can't read them.
These all are good two-level foolproof protection.

Ok, to dump cores one should set correct homedir for user nagios,
turn 'daemon_dumps_core' on, change Nagios startup script
to use 'su -' and run Nagios under user nagios. This should be enough,
but not very convenient.

We have security-convenience tradeoff here, and the choice is done
in favour of security.

I would prefer to run Nagios 'for debug' the same way as always,
but just have a possibility to dump core when I want to do that.
If started-for-production Nagios goes crazy, you can't dump core.
Instead, you have to restart it for-debug and wait for the bug again.
It's not convenient too.