Nagios 3.0b2 - Not sending Notifications?

Hendrik Bäcker andurin at process-zero.de
Wed Aug 29 18:41:35 CEST 2007

Hi List,

have just checked out latest nagios cvs and made a clean
configure/make/make install

After a diff over my running nagios3b1 nagios.cfg and the actual sample
there were no bigger differences (only passive_host_checks should be
passive/active).

After updating I've was faced with a critical service, that reaches the
hard state but no notifications were sent out.

Here my Logs:
[1188403774] SERVICE ALERT: hotel7;APT Updates;CRITICAL;SOFT;1;APT
CRITICAL: 4 packages available for upgrade (4 critical updates).
[1188403783] SERVICE ALERT: hotel7;APT Updates;CRITICAL;SOFT;2;APT
CRITICAL: 4 packages available for upgrade (4 critical updates).
[1188403796] SERVICE ALERT: hotel7;APT Updates;CRITICAL;SOFT;3;APT
CRITICAL: 4 packages available for upgrade (4 critical updates).
[1188403803] SERVICE ALERT: hotel7;APT Updates;CRITICAL;HARD;4;APT
CRITICAL: 4 packages available for upgrade (4 critical updates).
[1188403983] SERVICE ALERT: hotel7;APT Updates;OK;HARD;4;APT OK: 0
packages available for upgrade (0 critical updates).

I've double checked my config and deleted all retain informations
(objects.cache, objects.precache, retention.dat).

After looking at the archived logs, the last sent out notification was
on 08/22/2007.
Between then and today there were no deeper checkins from Ethan so I
would guess that it comes in while preparing for beta2.

Before I go deeper in the debugging I want to ask if someone out there
can reproduce this.

Regards
Hendrik