Distributing plugins

francois basquin babouche369 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 29 14:34:12 CEST 2007

Hi list,

I often write new plugins, and I face a distribution problem: how to
distribute them without having to scp and editing nrpe.cfg on each server?

Few headscratchings later, I came with a couple of solutions:
- using automatic copies from a repository to the clients (rsync or
equivalent)
Pros: simple. Cons: implies an extra protocol, which may not be desirable

- using NFS: clients mount the plugins directory from the repository
Pros: simpler. Cons: implies NFS, which may not be desirable

- modifying nrpe to distribute the plugins on demand. The Nagios server
could hold the plugins repository, and send the ones missing to the client.
A timestamp checking should also be needed to distribute new versions.
Pros: no extra protocol. Cons: needs some development, may introduce a lag
on the first service call.

Going further, nrpe could also maintain the nrpe.cfg file. Why keeping the
"command[..]" statements locally? They could be sent via nrpe itself.

And a couple of beers ahead, the repository might even be a database.

I know this changes the philosophy behind nrpe quite a bit, but it may worth
to think about.
Comments needed please.

Francois