Multiple Inheritance Sources and variable concatenations

L B bertignac at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 19:29:24 CEST 2007

[...]
> The first option:
>
> define host {
> name windows-server
> hostgroups windows-server
> register 0
> }
>
> define host {
> use  windows-server
> hostgroups +ABC-server
> }

Well, I have (and I need) an ABC-server template because I inherits other
values related to all the machines in the ABC-server hostgroup (such as
notes_url which points to a troubleshooting Wiki page related to ABC
project)

So now I do like this : I have a windows-server template, an ABC-server
template, and when I define a new host, I use both templates and I redefine
in the host the hostgroups value :

define host{
use windows-server,ABC-server
hostgroups +ABC-server
}

which means : use the hostgroups from windows-server template, ignore the
hostgroups from ABC-server template, add to the inherited hostgroups
"ABC-server"

So I have to add the ABC-server hostgroup ownership to each host belonging
to this hostgroup.

The second option:

> define host{
> name windows-server
> hostgroups windows-server
> register 0
> }
>
> define host {
> name ABC-server
> use windows-server
> hostgroups +ABC-server
> register 0
> }
>
> define host {
> use  ABC-server
> }

This option is not good for me because ABC-server hostgroup may have
linux-server :

define host {
use windows-server,ABC-server
}

and

define host {
use linux-server,ABC-server
}

(and each hostgroup has a different set of services checked)

Thanks
--
L.B.