ndoutils and historical performance data

mike conigliaro conigliaro at getproactivenow.com
Mon Apr 16 16:36:57 CEST 2007

hey flo,

i dont agree that mysql storage is not needed.  i chose perfparse specifically
for this feature, so it would be nice if this was still an option.  at my
company, its important that our customers have access to performance data so
they can generate their own reports and see the current status of their servers.
  since we dont want our customers accessing our nagios server directly, we
created our own read-only nagios web interface (on a different, publicly
accessible server) using the ndoutils and perfparse databases as a data source.

i dont have a lot of experience with rrdtool, but if performance data was only
stored in rrd files on the nagios box, it seems like there would be no easy way
to retrieve the data from elsewhere on the network.  my first thought is that id
have to implement a clustered filesystem or some sort of rsync process in order
to share the rrd files, and thats a bit more complicated than writing a few sql
queries. =)

it seems to me that if ndoutils took care of the parsing/storage on its own, the
only thing needed from the perfparse project would be the report generation
framework.  and then id begin to wonder if perfparse was even appropriate as a
separate project, since this is something that should be (and could very easily
be) incorporated into the new nagios web interface.  imho, graphs are
important/useful enough that they should be a core feature in any a monitoring
application.

just my 2 cents.

Mike Conigliaro
ProActive Technologies