data compression in nsca

Marcus Fleige marcus.fleige at de.rhenus.com
Wed Apr 11 16:13:25 CEST 2007

Hi,

Andreas Ericsson schrieb am 11.04.2007 15:53 Uhr:

> It's possible and not overly hard (zlib is fairly straightforward to
> use). I'm not sure how much benefit you'll notice from it though, as
> send_nsca sends the output of one check at a time, and has no idea of
> state. As such, you get the compression size overhead for each check,
> and as the results should already be fairly small, you won't gain all
> that much.

I agree, compression for only a single check result would hardly reduce
transfer volume.

But from my experience, send_nsca is able to send multiple check results
within one established connection. I guess the effects of compression
should be recognised when submitting a whole bunch of results.

Regards,

Marcus Fleige