Feature Request

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Apr 3 16:59:35 CEST 2007

David Schlecht wrote:
> On 4/2/07, Hendrik Bäcker <andurin at process-zero.de> wrote:
>>
>> > recurring Scheduled Downtime skews Nagios' Availability report.
>> > It's my understanding that Nagios won't check the host or service if
>> > it is in scheduled downtime. Is this incorrect?
>> No. Nagios checks it but don't notify you while in a downtime.
>> You have to evaluate the downtimes for you Avail Reports... I don't
>> know exactly what Nagios will do, in first case it might be that
>> Nagios will show downtimes as downtimes (cause they are downtimes) or
>> it ignores downtimes cause it would be no break down if you now that
>> it would happen.... I am not sure.
>

> We have up-time requirements that must be met. A host has a scheduled
> downtime for 2 hours but will only be down for 5 minutes somewhere in
> that 2
> hour period. This is not 2 hours of down time and our availability report
> would get me fired if it said the host was down for 2 hours every day.
>
> There must be a way to do this. If not, then it's an important feature to
> consider. No?

Read the docs, which is where the first (well, second really) sentence in
the original reply comes from. I'll spell it out for you again, but as you
didn't read it the first time, you probably won't this time either.

Nagios doesn't stop checking things that are in scheduled downtime. It does
however stop *notifying* you about things that are in scheduled downtime.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se