Improving dependencies mechanics ?

Laurent Guyon laurent.guyon at adelux.fr
Mon Sep 4 16:48:09 CEST 2006

Hello,

I've got a question about dependencies system in Nagios.

If I understood well the actual mechanics, if service A depends en
service B, and if service B goes into trouble, checks on service A are
stopped. But I noticed 2 things :
* Services test order is not affected by dependencies informations,
* Service A remains in its current state when B goes into trouble.

I would like to improve this system, to add a notion of precedence, and
a system of dependent services state correction :
1) As service A depends on service B, nagios must first check service B,
and then check service A if service B was OK
2) If service B fall into trouble (CRITICAL or WARNING), correct service
A state to UNKNOWN.

I understand that the notion of precedence would be hard to set, because
of the differences of services poll intervals (if service B is checked
every 2 minutes, and service A every 1 minute ...).

I've tried to achieve 2) with event handlers, when service B goes into
trouble, an event handler corrects all its dependants services (A) to
set them to UNKNOWN. But it's not perfect in a certain case : if a
normal check of service A have been launched just before service B goes
into trouble, the result of this check returns AFTER service A state
have been corrected to UNKNOWN, and overrdide its UNKNOWN state.

Do you know how I could do that, or have you any other idea to improve
the dependencies system ?

Thanks in advance,

Laurent