Message passing between host/service check plugin.

Peter Krüpl peter at henet.dk
Thu Oct 19 20:30:28 CEST 2006

Hi Group,

    Am i the only person in here needing a way to pass someting to a
check plugin,
    from the last invocation ?

    I don't like using snmp OID values for my plugin executions, som i
use the interfacename
    to poll the status via SNMP. To do this i have to walk the ifDescr
snmp table. Once i find the
    interface index, i can poll status, IN/Out Octets etc...

    The next time the same service get's checked it would be nice to
pass the last dermined interface
    index, and only test if the index still has the correct IfDescr. To
do this i rely on temporary files today,
    this is a mess.

    I could pass the index in the $SERVICEOUTPUT$ output, but that could
potentialy clutter up the                 information, displayed as the
check message, i could also use $SERVICEPERFDATA$,but that is used
    for performance data, and get's passed to external performance
collector stuff.

    I would like to have the possibility for a 3rd field in the check
output, getting stored in a
$SERVICETEMPDATA$ which could be used for about anything toaking care
thath the string will
    be limited in size.

    Kind Regards,
    Peter