Host display problem

Baumgartner, Jeremy J Jeremy.Baumgartner at ACNielsen.com
Tue Nov 7 20:52:27 CET 2006

I'm seeing a strange occurrance, and it seems like something that may
have been added as a feature, but I cannot see any explaination anywhere
else.

Configuration:

We use separate files for each server we monitor.  We have 3 files in
particular:  ntz00.cfg, ntz00a.cfg, and ntz00b.cfg.  We have identical
services defined in ntz00a.cfg and ntz00b.cfg, as they are identical
systems.  ntz00.cfg has 3 services which are common to the other two,
but they are not listed in either ntz00a.cfg or ntz00b.cfg.  When we
view the hosts ntz00a or ntz00b on the web interface, the additional
services in ntz00.cfg appear.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but we don't want this to happen,
since the host ntz00 "hops" between ntz00a and ntz00b in a
high-availability setup.

I'm wondering if this was something that was added as a feature, since
the hostnames are so similar (ntz00/ntz00a/ntz00b), perhaps there is
logic built in to recognize that <hostname> and <hostname>[a-z] are
related in this way.

In any case, any information on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

--
Jeremy Baumgartner
Unix Systems Administrator