Core-less in Seattle

bobi at netshel.net bobi at netshel.net
Mon Nov 6 17:28:42 CET 2006

Has anyone had problems obtaining core dumps from the main Nagios daemon
when it segfaults?

I've enabled the option in the config file "daemon_dumps_core" but, after
the daemon dies due to a segfault (confirmed via dmesg,) a core file never
seems to be produced.

And yes, I've set the global ulimit for core dumps to unlimited, and yes,
there is enough space on my disk, and yes, I've scoured the disk with
"find" looking for files with the name of "core" or "core.<pid>", but to
no avail.

I also completely disabled the segfault handling logic in the signal
handler, but nothing's changed.

What am I missing here?

I'm considering running nagios in the foreground (non-daemon mode) just to
see if I can catch the magically-missing core file.

Bob