check_nrpe timeout triggering criticial service notification

Tony den Haan tony at dhits.nl
Mon May 29 15:48:29 CEST 2006

hi,

I ran into nagios mailing me CRITICALs when it couldn't connect to remote
nrpe daemon. This looks a bit strange, since it couldn't possible know if
a filesystem if full or whatever when it can't query daemon.
I suggest making check_nrpe return STATUS_UNKNOWN in alarm_handler(),
instead of STATUS_CRITICAL.
Another option might be having a service check on the remote nrpe and use
dependencies?
Which solution is wise?

Tony