MAX_PLUGINOUTPUT_LENGTH

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri May 26 10:29:15 CEST 2006

Goetz Rieger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need a longer maximum plugin output length in Nagios 2.3.1 because I
> have a custom plugin which could possibly return quite a lot of data.
>
> In include/objects.h MAX_PLUGINOUTPUT_LENGTH is set to 332.
>
> So I have two questions:
>
> -Is that the correct define to alter the length of a plugin output read by
> Nagios?

Yes.

> -Is there any drawback when setting the value rather high, say 1000?

Possibly, but not necessarily. The maximum posix-guaranteed atomic
write-size is 512 bytes. If you increase this number you *might* see
plugin output getting mixed with output from other plugins. Also, if you
do this on a large monitoring installation you will double the risk of
filling up the FIFO nagios uses for receiving check-commands, which will
cause a build-up of nagios processes that will eventually starve the
system of memory.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se