[patch] Workaround for 'Host DOWN' false-positives

Jan Kratochvil lace at jankratochvil.net
Sun May 21 13:53:34 CEST 2006

Hi Bruce,

thanks for the followup. I welcome it got accepted it solves some problem.

Generally I agree that my solution is ineffective. (Un)fortunately it is
Good Enough(tm) for the local purposes. Also Nagios external plugins design is
perfect for the Nagios deployments but it is not anything effective at all.

I tried more to address the "minimal patchset" goal as there are already local
patches inside Nagios code and for some plugins so to make it easier for Nagios
upgrades. Even check_ping is already wrapped locally, it would mean
double-wrapping or mixing two functionalities into a single wrapper etc.

I do not consider too much important how the goal is reached. But I would like
to pinpoint that the "host->max_check_attempts" Nagios parameter is not serving
like what one would expect. And to provide the right answer for the many
false-positives "Host DOWN" mail bugreports usually only turned down.

In fact it means there is no longer any use for the 'host' feature of Nagios at
all as everything is now a 'service', the automatic host->service dependencies
must be provided manually in my case. 'host' wrapper is provided there in fact
only for the better visual overview of the situation. I think dropping the
special 'host' case of Nagios replacing it by universal 'service' approach
everywhere would simplify the code a lot, still it would mean a large overhaul.

Best Regards,
Jan Kratochvil

On Sun, 21 May 2006 13:26:49 +0200, Bruce Campbell wrote:
> To be more precise, you are reading in the complete status.dat and
> objects.cache files each time this script is being run.  Some
> installations have these files over the 10 meg mark, and I suspect that
> reading in the file each time a host check is run might well be a little
> bit noticeable, particularly when using an interpreted language and a lot
> of hosts.

Local files have 1MB, simulated 10MB ones take 6 sec (amd64 3500+).
Not good but acceptable for me, moreover with those local 1MB datafiles.