Removing host checks for non-OK passive results

Jason Martin jhmartin at toger.us
Tue May 16 19:27:57 CEST 2006

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 04:03:10PM +0100, Ton Voon wrote:
> Hi Ethan!
>
> We found that Nagios is making a host check for every non-OK passive
> result received. We don't think that is necessary because if a
> passive result is received, then the host must be okay! Details and
That is not necessairily true. In distributed mode, one Nagios
might send a service check result to another Nagios via NSCA
hence passive check result.  The host being monitored may be
down but you'll still get passive check results for it and don't
want the host assumed up.

However, if this was implemented as a config file option such
that users could invoke this only if they are not running Nagios
in a distributed manner, it would make sense to include it.
Otherwise it probably breaks distributed Nagios behavior.

-Jason Martin
--
Programming is an unnatural act.
This message is PGP/MIME signed.