Soft OK States: Feature or Bug?

Bob Ingraham bobi at netshel.net
Wed May 10 23:30:07 CEST 2006

Question for the list:

While working on documenting the NEB interface and the various interal
Nagios data structures for our delevopment team, I came across this issue
with Soft OK states.

Is this a valid state?  We've had one instance where a service was in a
Soft Critical state for two attempts, then the service was restored and
the log (and availability report) start showing a Soft OK state (3rd
attempt).

This screwed-up our availability report for this service, since the
service recovered after 20 minutes, but the availability report shows 16
hours of downtime (because, 16 hours later, the logs were rotated at
midnight and the state was reset to "Hard" OK.)

So, again, is this by design or is it a bug?

BTW, we've seen this behavior on both our current Nagios 2.2 version and
an ancient Nagios 1.1 version that's going to be retired shortly.

Thanks,
Bob