Defining services at runtime

Wed May 10 10:27:16 CEST 2006

Hi,

Is there anyway in Nagios to define services at runtime? I'll give an
example:

You have a script that monitors ports on a switch for errors. When its run
it walks the interface error counters on the switch. For each port it
discovers it creates a new service entry (for this host/switch) - if one
does not already exist - and then sets the state accordingly.

It would be nice if this was possible. I realise that this could be achieved
by walking the switches and then generating a static configuration, but I
feel this method is cleaner. It combines automatic, runtime discovery of
switchports, along with the efficiently gains of having only one service
check ran (instead of one service check per-port). I can envisage a single
plug-in, which only needs to be given a hostname and community string to
able to generate individual reports for each switchport for errors,
queuedrops and port status.

Is this possible with the new Event Broker API? Is this documented anywhere?
;)