Notification interval & escalation overlapping

Dirk De Coninck Dirk.DeConinck at tst-us.com
Tue May 9 22:31:25 CEST 2006

Hi all,

First I would like to thank the Nagios developers for providing us this
wonderful tool and sharing it with the community.

I am using Nagios 2.2 and there seems to be a bug when using escalation
overlapping with different notification intervals.
What I want to achieve is this:
For all service and hosts notifications an email is to be sent to the
system administrators list with a notification interval of 20 minutes.
When a critical or down notification (not for warnings) is not
acknowledged within 20 minutes an email should be sent to the managers list.
The managers only want to get 1 notification to report the critical or
down state and a recovery notification whenever the status is recovered
but only for recoveries that they initially got a notification for.

To achieve this I created the following escalation definition templates:
define serviceescalation{
        name                    mgmt
        first_notification      2
        last_notification       3  ; if I put 2 here, they never get the
recovery notification
        contact_groups          mgmt
        notification_interval   0  ; if I put 20 here, they get 2
critical notifications and no recovery
        escalation_period       24x7
        escalation_options      u,c,r
        register                0
        }

define serviceescalation{
        name                    admins
        first_notification      3
        last_notification       0
        contact_groups          admins
        notification_interval   20
        escalation_period       24x7
        escalation_options      w,u,c,r
        register                0
        }

define hostescalation{
        name                    host-mgmt
        first_notification      2
        last_notification       3
        contact_groups          mgmt
        notification_interval   0
        escalation_period       24x7
        escalation_options      d,u,r
        register                0
        }

define hostescalation{
        name                    host-admins
        first_notification      3
        last_notification       0
        contact_groups          admins
        notification_interval   20
        escalation_period       24x7
        escalation_options      d,u,r
        register                0
        }

All hosts and services have the admins as contact group with a 20
minutes notification interval.
First I tried only adding an escalation entry for the mgmt group (worked
fine in version 1.3):
define serviceescalation{
        use                             mgmt
        hostgroup_name                 internet-servers
        service_description             PING
        }

define hostescalation{
        use                     host-mgmt
        hostgroup_name          internet-servers
        }

The result is that I get the first notification to the admins and 20
minutes later I get the escalation notification to the mgmt and then
nothing anymore.

Then I tried adding an escalation for the admins:
define serviceescalation{
        use                             admins
        hostgroup_name                 internet-servers
        service_description             PING
        }

define hostescalation{
        use                     admins
        hostgroup_name          internet-servers
        }

But no result either.

The only way I can almost make it work is by changing the management
template notification interval to 20 and setting the last notification
to 2. The admins get the reminders this way, but the mgmt never gets the
recovery notification.

Just a thought, but what would make everything a lot easier is the
possibility of defining first_notification, last_notification,
notification_interval, escalation_period and escalation_options in the
contacts definition (contacts.cfg).
Since it is advised to work with templates to make things more easy, why
don't the service definitions inherit most of the parameters like
contact groups, escalations, notification interval... from the host
definitions unless specified in the service definition?
Do I submit this as a feature requests?

Sorry for this long email, I wanted to supply all relevant information.
Thanks for any help you can give me to make this work.

Kind regards,
Dirk.