NDO Database suggestions.

Marlo Bell BellMR at ldschurch.org
Wed May 3 19:22:35 CEST 2006

I sent this with the attachment a few days ago, but the attachment was big
enough that the message requires approval. I thought I would resend this without
the attachment so that I may get some more timely responses.

--------------------------

Ethan, et al

Some of you may have seen the NDO schema drawing that I did a while back (I'll
attach a new version with a few typos fixed). But a few things seem a little bit
off. I'm not an expert at relational databases nor am I an nth normalization
freak, but I have some suggestions for the NDO/Nagios 3.0 database schema.

I would appreciate some feedback on my ideas.

1. objects.name1 and objects.name2 shouldn't exist. The names of objects should
live in their respective tables. Hosts should have a hostname and a alias field.
Services should have a service_description field. Hostgroups should have a
hostgroup_name and a hostgroup_alias field. etc. etc. etc. I believe this to be
the case because they are unique to each object and cannot be generified-the
result is a bunch of NULLs in the objects table. This also makes joining objects
together easier/possible. In the current NDO database I couldn't use a join to
show me all the services in a particular servicegroup. This could possibly be
done with a subquery, but that seems excessive for a seemingly simple query.

2. Host and Services should not be linked by name. At very least the id of the
host and service object should be linked. But to truly model the Nagios works,
it should be a many-to-many relationship with an association table. Since the
NDO database with Nagios 2.x isn't the authority of data (the flat files still
are) this shouldn't be a problem. And in Nagios 3.0 a relationship based on
primary keys seems more appropriate.

3. The instance table shouldn't need to be related to EVERY other table. In
fact I think that a relationship to the objects table seems sufficient. That
relationship should then carry throughout all other relationships. There are a
few exceptions in table which don't link to the objects table.

Marlo

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the
 intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
 privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use,
 disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the
 intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email