NSCA in standalone single-process daemon mode

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest Thomas at zango.com
Tue May 2 22:41:52 CEST 2006

Hi list,

I'm running a big Nagios monitoring system which has about a hundred of
remote passive checks reporting trough NSCA. Lately when I added more
passive checks I noticed that the number of "Failed" checks (No results
received) increased (For most of the checks it's impossible to say if it did
run or not).

I'm currently running NSCA in inetd mode using D. J. Bernstein's tcpserver
program. Since most checks are run by Vixie Cron, and therefore will run at
the exact same time, my two guess were that either:

1. I'm jamming up the monitoring server for more that 10 seconds will all
the checks.

Or

2. All NSCA processes writing at the same command file trigger some obscure
OS or Nagios bug.

I have reasons to think it's not #1, so to test #2 I wanted to run NSCA in
single-process daemon mode. When I do this it get the first passive check
correctly and send_nsca fail on all other checks. Running strace I see that
it block on the poll syscall after processing the first check, and send_nsca
timeouts after 10 seconds.

I'm running Nagios 2.0b3 on Slackware 10.1.0, Dual Athlon MP with 4G of ram,
NSCA Version 2.6, Official & unpatched.

Compiled with Gcc:
Configured with: ../gcc-3.3.4/configure --prefix=/usr --enable-shared
--enable-threads=posix --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-checking
--with-gnu-ld --verbose --target=i486-slackware-linux
--host=i486-slackware-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3.4

Any thoutht on what's going wrong here?