Improving notifications - offer to code/RFC/etc.

Ethan Galstad nagios at nagios.org
Tue Mar 21 17:05:12 CET 2006

On 21 Mar 2006 at 9:32, Andreas Ericsson wrote:

> Jo Rhett wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 02:45:55PM +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> >
> >>The GUI will be rewritten from scratch in PHP. Any changes to it
> >>that isn't a bugfix will almost certainly be ignored.
> >

> > When?  Nagios 2 took 3 years.   If Nagios v3 is on a similar
> > timeline then why would you prevent improvements?
> >

> I wouldn't. I'm just passing on what Ethan told me (or someone else,
> can't remember) when other improvements were suggested to the GUI.
>
> We (OP5) are currently writing a PHP GUI which we will GPL once it's
> somewhere near functional. I think others are also writing similar
> things. For those, I'd like to inform that we're investing significant
> effort to the current status view. If others are directing their
> efforts at reporting we'd be very interested in merging them both.

Don't worry about Nagios 3 taking too long to come into existence.
Now that I've left my full time job to focus on things like Nagios,
development will move much quicker. Here are my priorities and a
rough timeline for Nagios 3.x development....

1.  Mods to the Nagios daemon for the 3.x wishlist items.  This took
a little over 2 weeks and has already been completed!  :-)

2.  Document the mods make to the Nagios daemon (expected to be done
in 2 weeks or so).

3.  Integrate the NDOutils addon into the core Nagios distro, make
changes to reflect mods made in 3.x daemon, finalize DB schema, and
document everything.  I hope to have this done by the end of April or
first part of May.

4.  Begin building the new web interface.  First steps include
figuring out new authentication methods and authorization logic,
builing basic XML building blocks (RSS feeds, SOAP calls, etc).  Once
that's done, the design of the new interface will start.

I would expect that we'll see a new useable PHP interface by late
summer.  Also of note, I will leave the CGIs in the Nagios distro
during the alpha/beta releases until the PHP interface is ready to
go.  The CGIs already work with the modded Nagios 3.x daemon.

Hope that helps.

Ethan Galstad,
Nagios Developer
---