Open Discussion About Host/Service Visibility in CGIs

Marlo Bell BellMR at ldschurch.org
Thu Mar 9 20:28:11 CET 2006

I wish to pose a question to the group which may develop into a request for
Nagios 3.0.

First I should mention that my question pertains only to front-end view rights,
not notifications. In the current CGI's if a contact_group is defined for a host
that contact_group automatically gets view rights for ALL services associated
with that host. Inversely if the contact_group is defined for a service (but not
the host) they will be able to see the service (in status.cgi, extinfo.cgi,
etc), but not the host (same cgi's). This has caused us some issues in that some
people only want to see what services they are in charge of.

Example: Host: Windows1, Services: Disk,CPU,Memory,HTTP,Ping. The server team
wants to be able to view all services and the host, while the web development
team only wants to see HTTP and the Host (so they know if HTTP is having a
problem or if the host is down), and lastly the network team wants to see Ping
and the Host.

Unless I'm mistaken you can't do this in the current CGIs. I wondering if there
isn't a better alternative. There are potentially 3 ways of allowing
contact_groups to see various items in the front end. They are as follows:

1. If a contact_group can see the Host, it can see ALL services--current model
2. You must explicitly allow a contact_group for a host and any services it can
see
3. If a contact_group can see ANY service for a host, it can also see the
host--inverse of current model

Does anyone have any input on if requesting method 2 or 3 in nagios 3.0 is
valid or not?

Marlo Bell

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the
 intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
 privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use,
 disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the
 intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email