Serial ocsp_command invocations

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Fri Jul 28 16:39:36 CEST 2006

Hi Ethan,

We were investigating a customer's distributed setup which had
latency figures around 8 seconds for their slave's active checks.
After trawling through the mailing list, we found Trask's mail who
discovered that the ocsp_command was being invoked serially - http://
www.mail-archive.com/nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net/msg04610.html.

Looking through the Nagios code, it looks like nagios forks to run
the service check and then returns the result for a separate process
to evaluate the result. This process then runs the ocsp command.

Is there a reason the ocsp command is invoked serially? There is no
mention of serial/parallelising of ocsp in the docs at http://
nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/distributed.html.

Since the ocsp command looks like it is being invoked regardless of
the plugin result, would it make sense to invoke ocsp in the service
check fork?

If there is a good reason why ocsp is serialised, we'll publish our
way of solving this latency problem: caching submissions within our
ocsp script, before batch applying to send_nsca.

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243
F: +44 (0)845 280 1725