NRPE/NSCA and SOAP/XML-RPC

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Tue Jan 31 20:50:10 CET 2006

hey ethan,

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 12:00:05PM -0600, Ethan Galstad wrote:
> I'm planning a rewrite of the NRPE and NSCA addons to support multi-
> line plugin output that should appear in Nagios 3.x.  In doing this,
> I was thinking that communication between the NRPE/NSCA servers and
> their clients should be done using SOAP or XML-RPC.  Any thoughts on
> this?

for those of us who will have to continue to support the old
versions of nsca/nrpe for some time now (given debian's
geologically slow release cycle) it'd be really nice if the new versions
of nrpe/nsca could be backwards compatible with the current version...

> FYI, there are a few C SOAP libraries that I know of that could be
> used: csoap and gsoap.  Anyone have thoughts on these or other
> recommendations?  I'm leaning towards gsoap as it supports SSL, which
> would be required for the NRPE addon.

well i see that gsoap is debian-packaged, whereas i can't find
csoap, so i'm already biased without knowing anything :)  of course
if it turns out the csoap implementation is better, i could end
up maintaining that as well so take that with a grain of salt :)

	sean