NRPE/NSCA and SOAP/XML-RPC

Ethan Galstad nagios at nagios.org
Tue Jan 31 19:00:05 CET 2006

Hi All -

I'm planning a rewrite of the NRPE and NSCA addons to support multi-
line plugin output that should appear in Nagios 3.x.  In doing this,
I was thinking that communication between the NRPE/NSCA servers and
their clients should be done using SOAP or XML-RPC.  Any thoughts on
this?

One big stumbling block to the adoption of SOAP/XML-RPC is the fact
that encryption is needed in the data stream.  NRPE can use standard
SSL to hide traffic (gSoap can handle this), but the traffic for NSCA
is encrypted differently to both prevent replay attacks and provide
some level of trust in the client.  Perhaps this means that it
doesn't make sense to use SOAP/XML-RPC for the NSCA addon?  Or
perhaps the entire SOAP message should be encrypted (as the non-SOAP
message is now) before being sent, which would mean that I would need
to write out the SOAP message myself, rather than using a library.

FYI, there are a few C SOAP libraries that I know of that could be
used: csoap and gsoap.  Anyone have thoughts on these or other
recommendations?  I'm leaning towards gsoap as it supports SSL, which
would be required for the NRPE addon.

Ethan Galstad,
Nagios Developer
---