Fwd: Re: the new gui?

Eldad Zack eldad at stoneshaft.ath.cx
Tue Jan 17 22:13:02 CET 2006

Subject: Re: [Nagios-devel] the new gui?
Date: Tuesday 17 January 2006 23:07
From: Eldad Zack <eldadzack at gmail.com>
To: nagios-devel at lists.sourceforge.net

On Tuesday 17 January 2006 20:57, Hendrik Baecker wrote:
> The next step for multi language Support and perhaps some template based
> gui could be another php class called smarty (http://smarty.php.net/).
> They did a good cut between colored frontend and the main application.
> In the end of development using Smarty there are the developers giving
> some smarty internal variables out of, hopefully, nice functions
> (selects and so on) and there are the Web Designer "just" making a
> wonderful GUI feeded with the dynamically smarty Variables.

From my own exprience with smarty it makes you punch out much clearer and
cleaner code. I've used it in my half-baked nagios v1 php interface
(nagios-php.sf.net) quite extensively.

For reference:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nagios-php/

I would vote highly for using it in the future implementation of the nagios
php interface.

I assume that the event broker will make it much easier than needing to parse
files.

Also, as a part of the command implentation I've made an XML detailing the
external commands to be used:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/nagios-php/nagios-php/php/html/cmd.def.
xml?rev=1.15&view=auto

Maybe this could be brought closer to the nagios core in the next cycle?
If it will be shared between the core and the Web UI, it'll make life easier
on the development, and less code replication...

--
Eldad Zack <eldad at stoneshaft.ath.cx>
Key/Fingerprint at pgp.mit.edu, ID 0x96EA0A93