the new gui?

Hendrik Baecker b00mer at gmx.net
Tue Jan 17 19:57:34 CET 2006

Ethan Galstad schrieb:

>On 16 Jan 2006 at 11:57, Eric Persson wrote:
>

>>Hi everyone,
>>
>>Been lurking the list for quite some time here..
>>
>>Whats the status of the new php-gui for nagios, is there a release
>>schedule or havent it started yet?
>>
>>Thanks for greate software,
>>	Eric
>>

>There's no release schedule yet, asI'm still planning how things will
>work out.  Here's my initial plan so far...
>
>1.  The NDOUtils addon will likely be merged with the Nagios CVS code
>as development on 3.0 gets started.  This will provide DB integration
>(initially with MySQL only).
>
>2.  Preliminary work on the PHP interface will begin in about 1
>month.  The first things that need to be worked out include:
>
>	- Authentication mechanisms
>	- Authorization rules
>	- Multi-language support
>	- Theme support
>
>3.  General work on the PHP interface will begin in 2-3 months.
>Several people have already volunteered to help out - if you'd like
>to be included, drop me an email and I'll let you know when things
>are ready to get started.
>
>All things considered, we are probably 6-9 months away from having a
>decent PHP replacement for the current CGIs.  The CGIs won't be
>removed from Nagios 3.x CVS until the PHP interface is ready to go.
>

>Ethan Galstad,
>Nagios Developer
>---
>Email: nagios at nagios.org
>Website: http://www.nagios.org

Hi all,

as I mentioned above I am currently playing with some stuff and want to
give some hopefulls usefull hints.

There is a php based project called "AdoDB" which comes over like the
Perl DBI. It is a PHP Class which handles varios DB connections such as
MySQL, MS-SQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL and some more. If the ndo_utils, or
some other code like "nagios-db" support some other DBs than MySQL it
should be just one little switch within AdoDB to go to for example
Oracle from MySQL and vice versa.

AdoDB is easy to install (just one central include of the class) and it
sounds good.

More Info under: http://adodb.sourceforge.net/

The next step for multi language Support and perhaps some template based
gui could be another php class called smarty (http://smarty.php.net/).
They did a good cut between colored frontend and the main application.
In the end of development using Smarty there are the developers giving
some smarty internal variables out of, hopefully, nice functions
(selects and so on) and there are the Web Designer "just" making a
wonderful GUI feeded with the dynamically smarty Variables.

If you mix these two project together I think you are ready for an easy
to administrate Web Application with good portable DB background.

Btw: A friend of mine from the german Nagios Portal was thinking about
*one* centralized framework (may be in php) for all those nasty select
statemants. It would be better than 20 (or more) teams working on the
same selects. (I know, someone should spend me a good german/english
translator ^^)

@Ethan: Some of your "black papers" could be much helpful to understand
your thoughts about your DB relationship model. For people like me who
just have a ready to run db view it is hard to see and understand what
is what.

Just my 2 Cents

Regards
Hendrik