Simple question, possibly 2nd time posted

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Jan 9 11:44:46 CET 2006

Kevin Duffield wrote:

> Can I develop a plugin for Nagios using Java?

You can, but I strongly advise against it, because it would be a
resource- and performance hog even for the smallest possible plugin,
because a new virtual machine has to be created each time the plugin is
run. 20-30 checks using java could easily bring your system to its knees.

One way around this is to load the plugin once in a virtual machine and
add a multiplexer to it that listens to requests from a much simpler
program and then reports back the result. This way you get away with the
performance penalty of just one virtual machine, but the complexity
makes it a very un-appealing solution anyway.

Another way around it that may or may not work for you is to have the
java plugin running as a daemon and submitting check-results passively
to Nagios. Read the documents carefully for information on how to do this.

> If I can and/or you already have, would you be so kind as to post
>
>  any useful links.

google for check_as400. nagiosexchange is probably a good place to
start. It's a plugin for checking as400 things over a telnet connection,
written in java (I think).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se