New event broker module for DB storage...

Matthew Kent mkent at magoazul.com
Mon Jan 2 04:20:08 CET 2006

On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 12:51 +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> mkent at magoazul.com wrote:
> >>Hi All -
> >>
> >>Its been a busy last three weeks.  For almost seven months now I've
> >>been working on an event broker module that will dump all
> >>configuration data and realtime status information from Nagios to a
> >>MySQL database.  While the planning and some initial was done a long
> >>while back, 80% of the coding occurred in the past three weeks.
> >

> > Oh I wasn't aware you were so actively working on this.
> >
> > Unfortunately for me I've just spent some spare time over the last couple
> > months writing a new NEB module (building on the existing work of the
> > nagios-db project) to handle inserting nagios data into
> > mysql/postgres/oracle from a single simple module. Obviously I won't be
> > finishing it since its a dead end at this point (90% done, was just
> > finishing the last of the oracle conversion), but if anyone is interested
> > in what I've done I'll put it up on my site.
> >

> I'm interested. It would certainly be nice to have two different to
> compare. I'll finish it for you if there isn't too much to do.

Couple people asked for this so here it is:

http://magoazul.com/proj/nagios/nag-db-0.0.1.tgz

It's a nagios data inserting module based on the work of the nagios-db
project. It uses apr and the apr_dbd
(http://people.apache.org/~niq/dbd.html) framework combined with stored
procedures to abstract out the database access and make a single module
for use over 3 database (mysql 5.x, oracle, and postgres). The actual
inserter.c code is pretty simple, which was my goal.

The conversion of the postgres stored procs to oracle isn't finished
yet, and I never had a chance to do extensive testing for memory leaks
and the like.

Since Ethan has produced an official database module I won't be
finishing it. Do with it what you will.

Happy new year :)
--
Matthew Kent <mkent at magoazul.com>