RFC: Host/Service Display Name

Ethan Galstad nagios at nagios.org
Tue Feb 28 20:07:28 CET 2006

On 28 Feb 2006 at 12:16, jeff vier wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 11:59 -0600, Ethan Galstad wrote:
> > A common request in the past has been to add a new field to host and
> > service definitions that overrides the host_name/service_description
> > fields for display purposes in the web interface.
> >
> > I am considering adding a 'display_name' (or similiarly named)
> > variable to host and service definitions to allow for this in Nagios
> > 3.x.  This would also allow you to change the "name" of the
> > host/service that is viewable for customers/staff, while leaving the
> > underlying host_name/service_description the same for reporting
> > purposes.
> >
> > Of course, corresponding $HOSTDISPLAYNAME$ and $SERVICEDISPLAYNAME$
> > macros will be added as well, to allow you to use the new names in
> > notification scripts, etc.
> >
> > What are the general thoughts on this?  Is there a better name than
> > 'display name' that should be used?
>
> 'Display Name' seems appropriate.
>
> I would prefer it be an optional tag (then, defaulting to the
> host_name if missing).

Yep, that's how it will work.  If its missing it will default to
either host_name or service_description, whichever is appropriate for
the object type.

> On a somewhat related note:
> Any chance "Alias" can be renamed to "Description" (or "Desc")?
> For me, at least, getting Infrastructure to submit enough information
> to make a valid host entry is a hassle, as the "Alias" concept
> consistently eludes them.

I suppose it could be.  Although its probably fun hassling the
infrastructure folks every once in a while to make sure they do
things right.

Ethan Galstad,
Nagios Developer
---