(Feat-req) Making hostgroups member of hostgroups

Hallstein Lohne hallstein.lohne at ii.uib.no
Tue Feb 21 09:06:47 CET 2006

I recently discovered the grouping feautures of the Nagios configuration
(by using templates and the hostgroup_name in services definitions).
This is great, but Nagios still doesn't fully support grouping methods,
as one cannot make a group member of another group.

I run Nagios 1.2 and we monitor about 500 hosts (Linux [diskfree, check
if user logged in, ping, ssh], Windows [diskfree, uptime, ping, check if
user logged in] and Servers [various])

I have a bunch of computer rooms, where I've defined members.
It would be great if these rooms also could be made as member of a
larger group.

Example:
Room 1 members: computer1, computer2, computer3 etc

Then I would like Room1, Room2, Room3 to be a member of
"Windows_Clients", Where I then apply services to hostgroup
"Windows_Clients" only, as all my clients are pretty much the same.

This way, all I have to do is to type the computer name once, instead of
both making it member of the "Room1" AND "Windows_Clients".

This means: Less work (only have to work at group level), less chance
for nagios errors and less need for scripts that create configuration-files.

Hallstein Lohne, Senior Engineer IT